Friday 27 September 2013

War of the Worlds - 2005, Tom Cruise, Dakota Fanning. Directed by Steven Spielberg.

Ok so I have to admit the main reason I chose this movie is because I had seen it before and have always loved the War of the Worlds story. I would have loved to have even around when Orson Wells read it over the radio.

There isn't too much I can say that's bad about this movie, however I can't truely enjoy a movie if there is nothing at all wrong with it.

The protagonist father figure is portayed as the dead beat dad as usual, though I feel Tom Cruise plays that part well. The really bad special effects come when a flock of seagulls fly overhead, however they stick to the original designs of the ships perfectly with slight alterations because of the new time that it is based.

Dakota Fanning is just superb in this movie and honestly I feel she steals every scene she is in.

The brother/sister dynamic is great and if and when my partner and I have children I only hope they have the same dynamic.

I really like the fact that if you put aside the fact that this is from a different time period from the original movie, you can kind of meld them both and see the same thing from a second point of view. 

Overall I love this movie along with the original, the musical and the book. If those who dislike Tom Cruise can see past that then you will enjoy this movie.


Four thumbs up

- The truth points to itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment