Thursday 26 September 2013

Darkness - 2002, Anna Paquin, Iain Glen. Directed by Jaume Balagueró

The beginning of this movie is nice. Not the usual music and opening credits, you actually get a slight history of the house.

The acting in this movie is really quite good, which is what I was expecting considering some of the actors and actresses.

It is a very subtle movie, sure you get the bits that make you jump a little, but the overall feel to the story builds as the time goes on. It is a progressive horror that, in my mind, isn't so much scary as it is suspenseful. 

The downsides to this movie. My big main issue with this movie is that the father's character, although played excellently, is too reminiscent of the father from Amityville, whereas the mother was just another overworked cardboard cutout of a horror movie mother, again nicely acted though.

The daughters character was strong and one thing I loved about this movie was the abundance of common sense (not going to turn my back on the obviously creepy man.)

All in all I enjoyed this movie a lot, certainly been the best I have seen in a couple of days, and if you want to watch Rogue (X-Men) and Ser Jorah Mormont (Game of Thrones) in a movie together then this is the movie to watch (though I did keep waiting for Iain Glen to call his wife khaleesi)


Three thumbs up.

- The truth points to itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment